I’ve heard from a few folks about what might be reasons for smudging their living spaces, as well as wanting some detailed instructions to do so. So here are the biggest inquiries I had and how to use smudging for a deeper change to the energy in which you are living.
When a child grows from toddler to teen, their room needs to be reinvented with them as they develop into this new stage of themselves. And again from teen to young adult. Heck, do this again if an adult child finds their way back home for a while also. Or if you happen to take on caring for a parent or other loved one and they move in with you. Even if you are just taking on a new roommate, this is a great process to welcome their energy to grow and expand while in your home. (this is best when performed in an emptied room)
- Open every window in the room.
- At the door (with door closed), standing outside and facing in, light a bundle of sage.
- With the door remaining closed, work your sage smoke from the lower right corner of the door, up the right side, across the top to the left and down the left side. Moving in a counterclockwise direction unwinds things, in this case removes the old energies from this doorway.
- Open the door and waft in some smoke before you enter. Then intentionally step into the room taking in a deep breath and accepting the power to bring change to this space.
- Work your way through the room in a counterclockwise direction. Hitting all the corners of the room, at the floor and the ceiling.
- Allow the smoke from the bundle to bellow out against each wall, out through every window, into the closet spaces, and across the ceiling.
- All the while chant some intentions for these actions.
- suggestion for child’s room: Goodbye to the child you have been, we close this chapter, we clear for the new.
- suggestion for most other new occupants: Thank this room for what you have provided to our home, we are preparing for a new use to your space.
- As you complete the counterclockwise walk, smudge the door frame from the inside, moving from the lower left corner as you did upon entering, then exit the room.
- Close the door after exiting.
- Allow the room to clear of smoke completely, however long that takes. You can peek in the room every 30mins to see if the room is clear.
- Then perform all the steps again, though in a clockwise direction now. Moving in a clockwise direction is moving energy forward, it’s stirring things up to get them creating something new.
- With the door closed start bellowing out your sage at the lower left corner of the door, working your way up the left side and across the top to the right, then down the right side.
- Open the door and waft in some smoke before your enter. Now intentionally enter the room, taking in a deep breath and once again accepting the power to bring change to this space.
- Work your way through the room, now in a clockwise direction. Hitting all the corners of the room, at the floor and the ceiling.
- You again will allow the smoke to bellow against each wall, out through the windows, into the closet spaces, and across the ceiling.
- Chant again for these actions you are taking and why.
- Suggestion for a child’s room: Chant about your hopes for this young person. You will now be inviting in the future of this young soul, the discovery of who they will be, and the wonders they shall discover in this space.
- Suggestion for a new occupant of almost any other kind: Chant about this new occupant finding peace and prosperity while sharing this home with you. Invite the energy to help the occupant heal from old wounds and brave forward to a new path. Whatever is suitable for the situation, each one is so uniquely personal.
- As you complete the clockwise walk, smudge the doorframe from the lower left corner to the lower right corner and exit the room.
- Leave the door open! When you are wanting to invite in new energy, leave the door open for it!
- Let the room clear of smoke again and then proceed to move in and redecorate as desired. Absolutely allow the occupant of the room to voice opinions and participate in the move in process.
Before or after any social event! Dinner party, game night, birthday parties, holiday parties, etc….they all bring friends and loved ones through your home, who all carry in their own energy, good or challenging as it may be. Here is what I like to do before those events.
- About an hour before your guests arrive, smudge your home. Your house can be set up and ready, but you want to do this before the first guest arrives.
- Grab your abalone shell, lighter and sage bundle.
- Start outside your home with the front door open, holding your supplies.
- Light your sage and smudge the exterior of your doorway in a clockwise direction. Waft in some smoke as if you were ushering in a welcome guest.
- Step through the door into the home and walk in a clockwise direction through every room where you expect guests will be (don’t forget the bathrooms!).
- Repeat words of joy and togetherness, a wish for the event, or something along those lines as you work through the house.
- Make a full rotation through the house so you end back at the front door.
- Say a final prayer for the gathering and find an intentional spot near the front door for the abalone shell and sage to rest, preferably outside, until the end of the event.
- After the last guest leaves, no matter how late it is or tired you are, take the time to smudge and clear the house again. You can do this before you cleanup from the event, but if you do, I suggest doing it again after you’ve cleaned everything up and reset your house back to itself. If it’s late and you decide to clean up the next day, at least do a quick smudge through the house before you go to bed, then smudge again after you have cleaned up and reset your home.
- Pick up the abalone shell from where you left it before the party began, standing inside the house, at the front door, light your sage and get the smoke bellowing.
- Smudge yourself, then begin walking in a counterclockwise direction through all areas of the house where guests have been (don’t forget the bathrooms!).
- Repeat some words to release the energies your guests brought, thank your guests for their visit, wish your guests light and love in whatever comes next for them.
- Make a full rotation through the home so you once again end up back at the front door.
- Open the door, say a final prayer of gratitude for all these beautiful friends you spent time with, and let the smoke bellow out the door taking those prayers to the heavens.
Some other ideas for smudging as energy changes.
- When you buy or sell a home! Though both the buying or selling of a home is one clearing I strongly suggest you use a professional for, you can DIY. Though for a truly meaningful smudging, it’s a bit more involved than anything I’ve shared yet, so maybe this will be it’s own blog post!
- To welcome a new family member! Whether you are birthing a child, adopting a child, adopting a pet, getting married, etc. when a new person or animal joins your life, you can welcome them with smudging and intentional words of prayer.
- It’s also very calming to use during end of life, helping a departing soul move gracefully to the next realm. While it’s always painful for those of us left behind, it can be scary and uncomfortable for those leaving as well. The scent of white sage alone calms the deepest parts of our ancestral soul.
- When you start a new job or start a new relationship. And of course, when you lose a job or end a relationship.
- When you sell a car or buy a new one!
- When you remodel or redecorate a room.
- When you start your garden each year and when you close the garden for the season. Or before and after you do any landscaping work in your yard!
- You can smudge your mail or gifts before you open them.
- I smudge my cat after he has been in a fight!
There is always a reason to clear the air and start anew. What will you smudge today?